25 Jan 2010

What it is what it is come check the noise

…it’s the new black version of the Beastie Boys…

Chuck Inglish and Mikey Rocks demonstrate just how sick the varsity jacket can look, but then they aren’t called The Cool Kids for nothing. I’m a big fan of the preppy meets hip-hop style that artists like Lupe Fiasco, Kidz in the Hall and Dan the Automator and Prince Paul from Handsome Boy Modeling School sport. Kanye West is ruining it for everyone, obviously, like he’s ruining everything (see Mr Hudson post ‘The Library’).



I possess a healthy obsession with the work of Spike Lee. I really wish he’d guest direct an episode of Eastenders because it’s lost its gritty edge since Christian minced into the square, and he could really get a grip on the non-entity that is the race issue.



Tangent…anyway, maybe my appreciation for Mr Lee and his Brooklyn cycling cap and thick rimmed specs has influenced my observation that there are more than a few varsity jackets banging about these days. I suspect, more than likely, I hang around Brick Lane too much and the Shoreditch pirates are honouring a renaissance in late 80s, early 90s hip-hop chic.

Yes yes, varsity jackets have been hanging on the overpriced rails of Rokit and Absolute Vintage for quite some time; it’s certainly no new phenomenon, but I still like them. I had an authentic varsity jacket when I was 11 and obsessed with all things Americana, emblazoned with the mascot of the Arkansas Razorbacks, my dad’s local football team that I pretended to know a jot about, reasoning why I was wearing a thick and heavy maroon wool and leather jacket through all the seasons.


I have to say, as much as i’m often accused of dressing like one (to my protestation, but I guess we’re all guilty of following the easiest trends), i’m not a big fan of the East Londonite. While I adore vintage, I don’t think that your clothes should look old for old’s sake. Vintage is about originality and flair and creativity. So while I won’t be seeking out a varsity jacket anytime soon - mostly because if I wanted one i’d get my own out of the loft rather than spend £45 on a ripped second hand number - anyone who channels Richie Cunningham is OK by me.

House DJ A1 Bassline



Photos taken at True Tiger & Ctrl.Alt.Shift @ SOME Night for Haiti Earthquake, The Den, London
__________
Vanity St Cyr x

No comments:

Post a Comment